Welcome to the SAVE EMERSON blog. This is meant to be a place where we can brainstorm ideas. We welcome your comments on any post. We ask only that you keep them positive and helpful. The blog administrators retain the right to delete any comments they deem harmful. If you choose to comment using the "anonymous" option for convenience, we hope you'll include your name as part of your comment.

If you have ideas for future posts, please email them to us at saveemerson@gmail.com. Thank you for taking the time to read here and to share your ideas with us.

Friday, March 14, 2008

SUBMITTED BY JAMIE BOSTON

A shining light on the horizon coming through all the dreadful budget news is that the Davis Schools Foundation (DSF) has offered some hope through community fund raising. Though they have been in existence for several years supplementing district programs, they have come to the forefront at this time with a campaign of $1/day/student seeking donations of $365 per child in Davis schools. Of course, smaller donations are also most welcome.

Even if you are not personally able to contribute money, I hope you will help by spreading the word among our parents and the greater community.

As an employee whose job has officially been cut by the Board of Education, I, along with my fellow district librarians, would like to show our commitment to being part of the solution by seeking pledges to DSF. I have made a commitment to walk 182.5 miles before May 15 (the date by which Bruce Colby, Assoc. Supt. of Business Services, has stated that the district must have cash in hand). I am seeking sponsors who will pledge contributions to DSF. My target is $2/mile, or a $365 contribution, but I will gladly and gratefully accept any amount at all.

I hope if you are considering donating to DSF, you will sponsor my efforts. Any donations pledged to my support will go to the general fund of DSF, NOT just to support school library programs. Please contact me if you are interested. I believe that if the citizens of Davis come together in the interest of our students, we can help to restore the programs that have been eliminated.

No comments: